Monday, November 14, 2011

Facebook stalking: Although creepy, can produce positive results.

Everyone is guilty of Facebook stalking. Some more than others, but we have all done it. Let’s take a trip back to last Fall Semester at Dixie State College.

I was starting my journey into the education program and one of the pre requisites was Educational Psychology. From the beginning of the semester there was a girl who sat on the other side of the room from me. I’m talking, literally could not be further away from me and still be in the class room. And by the time I decided I wanted to talk to this girl, it was too late into the semester to change seats. No, there was not assigned seating, but everybody knows by the end of the second week that seats have been claimed. It is an unspoken rule that you don’t take someone else’s seat. They will have to sit somewhere taking someone else’s seat, and then soon there is chaos in the classroom and nobody wins. So basically I was stuck on the other side of the classroom and didn’t know what I would do to talk to this girl. I’m too shy to just go strike up a random conversation with a cute girl. Not my style.

So at some point in the semester I hear the teacher her name. Melyssa. I was sure to plug that to memory and not forget it. A few weeks later the roll comes around and we were supposed to mark if we were there or not. So this is where the stalking begins. I see the list of names and I think.. “Hmm what is her last name..” So I browse the names until I find it. I come to the conclusion that I if I look her up on Facebook I’ll find out something we have in common that I could talk to her about, or maybe even better we’ll have some friends in common and I can get someone to set us up! Brilliant idea if I do say so myself.

I go home, pull up the ol’ Google machine and look up Melyssa on Facebook. Sure enough we have one friend in common. I message him and explain my weird situation, that I think this girls really cute, but don’t dare talk to her. He knew her from when he lived in mesquite and assured me she is a really nice cute girl and that I should talk to her. So what did I do? I went the remainder of the semester without talking to her. Wanted to, but never made an effort because I didn’t quiet dare. In the spring I didn’t take classes because I was coaching tennis, and I wasn’t sure what I wanted to major in anymore because the education thing didn’t look like it was going to pan out for me.

So let’s fast forward to Fall 2011. I transferred up to SUU and what do you know, the first week of classes I’m walking along and I pass this girl and I think to myself “that girl is pretty cute…. Wait a gosh darn minute… that’s the girl from my class at Dixie!”  A few weeks pass and I see her again, this time I remembered her name but sure enough didn’t get anything to come out of my mouth. I think instead I opted for looking down at the ground or pretended to be texting someone. Since I remembered her name I looked her up on Facebook and I was like I should just add her and send her a message. But I talked myself out of it because that’s creepy to get a friend request from some strange kid you had a class with a year ago right? So I refrained. Then about a month and a half ago or so, I saw her again and I decided what the heck. I don’t have much going on for me in Cedar and I never have anyone to hang out with. What’s the worst that could happen? So I decide to man up and added her on Facebook. I sent her a message explaining that I had a class with her last Fall at Dixie and that I saw her at SUU.. yada yada… I tried to make it sound like I wasn’t a creep but I’m almost positive that was an epic fail!

Much to my surprise she accepted the friend request and once I explained where I knew her from she claimed I looked familiar… so in other words… the girl that I had a huge crush on at Dixie didn’t even know I existed. But that’s beside the point. We began texting and getting to know each other a little and decided to hang out. So we got together and played basketball with some of my friends one night. I had a lot of fun and wanted to hang out with her again so a few days later I took her bowling and we watched a movie.

 To speed things up a bit we started hanging out every day and now we’re dating. It’s still really early on, no idea what will come of it, if anything. But for the time being… Its working out. She’s super fun and I’m really enjoying spending time getting to know her. And as creepy as I may have appeared in the beginning, I’m really glad I messaged her on Facebook!

1 comment: